Milestone dating from the C18.
Reason for Listing
The milestone on the south-east verge of the A30, c. 110m south-east of Ganderdown Cottage, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Rarity and survival: one of a sequence of legible, surviving C18 milestones, retaining its original form and lettering;
* Group Value: it stands very close to its original location and is one of a group of 19 designated milestones along this stretch of the A30.
The milestone is positioned close to where the line of the Roman road from Silchester (CALLEVA) to Winchester (VENTA BELGARVM), diverges to the north-east from the A30 toll road route to Basingstoke. It was erected and maintained by the Stockbridge and Basingstoke Turnpike Trust, which was first enacted in 1755. The trust ran a section of road that was 27 miles, 7 furlongs and 200 yards long, between Basingstoke and Salisbury, passing through Stockbridge, and controlled by three toll gates and bars. The milestone was removed during the 1970s when road works were being undertaken and has now been re-positioned close to where it originally stood. The milestone is marked very close to its current position on the Hampshire 1:2500 Ordnance Survey map of 1875. It is one of 19 similar milestones along this stretch of the A30 in Hampshire.
Milestone of C18 date, situated on the south-east verge of the A30, approximately 110m south-west of Ganderdown Cottage. Horizontally tooled stone cambered shaft with a rounded cap. The sides are divided by a central horizontal cut where the upper half of the surface is set back slightly. The north-east face is inscribed with painted lettering that reads - '17 STOCKBRIDGE', and '13 to WINCHESTER', the south-western face reads '50 to LONDON', and a cusped surface in the arris reads '4 to Basingstoke'. The shaft has suffered some wear to the arris.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.