First World War memorial, 1922, rough-hewn granite, Celtic cross design
Reason for Listing
The war memorial in St Mary's churchyard, Davyhulme is designated at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it has strong cultural and historic significance within both a local and national context;
* Commemorative: it forms an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community; the duplication of a number of surnames on the memorial's base serving to underline the extreme loss of the community's individual families;
* Group value: it has strong group value with the adjacent Grade II listed St Mary's Church in whose churchyard it stands.
The war memorial in St Mary's churchyard was erected in 1922. It was cleaned and renovated in 2008, and again in 2012, in time for the Armistice Day remembrance services.
The war memorial is located to the centre of St Mary's churchyard alongside Davyhulme Road, to the north of the Grade II listed Church of St Mary the Virgin. It consists of a Celtic cross set upon a stepped plinth, and enclosed by a very low sandstone wall (added in 1960) that forms a raised planting bed. The cross' south face is adorned with a relief carving of a sword and the base incorporates in small relief bronze lettering the names of 21 men of the parish who were killed. The names include three repeated family names. The plinth immediately below has further bronze lettering that reads 'IN HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN FROM THE CHURCH/ AND SCHOOLS OF THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918'. The west face of the plinth has bronze lettering that reads 'REMEMBER BEFORE GOD THE GALLANT SOULS/ WHOSE NAMES ARE WRITTEN HERE', whilst the east face bears the words 'THEIR MEMORY WILL NEVER DIE'.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.