War memorial, erected 1921.
Reason for Listing
New Barnet (East Barnet Valley) War Memorial, erected 1921, designed by Newbury Abbot Trent ARA, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historical interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the men and women of the London Borough of Barnet. It is of strong historic and cultural significance, both at a local and a national level;
* Design interest: it is a dignified monument executed in good quality materials, designed by Newbury Abbot Trent, Associate of the Royal Academy.
The New Barnet (East Barnet Valley) War Memorial stands on a triangular island in the centre of the town; it was created as a memorial to the men of the East Barnet Valley who fell during the First World War. The memorial cost £900, largely paid for with funds raised by public subscription. The monument was designed by Newbury Abbot Trent, Associate of the Royal Academy, a well known sculptor of the time. It was unveiled on 20th March 1921 by the Viscount Hampden GCVO, KCB, CMG, the Lord Lieutenant of Hertfordshire, and commanding officer of the 1st Battalion the Hertfordshire Regiment in the war; subsequently Brigadier-General 185th Brigade. The names of the 277 men and 1 woman who died on active service during the First World War and 136 men killed during the Second World War are commemorated on the monument.
War memorial, erected 1921, Architect: Newbury Abbot Trent ARA
The New Barnet (East Barnet Valley) war memorial stands on a triangular walled enclosure, with rounded angles to the west, south-east and north-east, and now a traffic island. The memorial is contained within a low stock brick wall with granite copings. The memorial was built on sloping ground which falls away to the north; consequently the wall is taller on the northern side. The memorial stands within a square stone lined flower border, within a levelled triangular gravel surfaced courtyard, approached through an entrance at the western apex of the perimeter wall. The wall once carried cast iron railings which were supported on wrought-iron struts mounted in engaged granite piers that project back at intervals from the line of the wall; the space between the piers is occupied by flower borders.
The memorial comprises a four-sided 5.18m tall obelisk of Portland stone, surmounted by a bronze allegorical ‘winged victory’ figure holding a palm leaf, standing on a globe supported by four fish, which adds a further 2.43m to the height of the monument. The obelisk has a simple stylised base and is mounted on a tall pedestal with recessed corners and a plain plinth, set on a stepped Portland stone podium, raised on a concrete base. Stone steps rise to the podium on the western side.
A seated lion beneath a rising sun is carved in relief at the base of the western side of the column; incised on a stone panel at the lion’s feet are the words ‘AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN AND IN THE MORNING WE WILL REMEMBER THEM’. The base of the column on the reverse (eastern) side is carved 1914 - 1918, and 1939 - 1945 is carved on the plinth.
The surnames and initials of the 278 fallen of the First World War are carved into slate panels attached on all four sides of the pedestal, and are picked out in gold-coloured paint. Unusually, a woman’s name appears on the memorial – Amy Alice Victoria Goldsmith. She died on 5th March 1919 aged 32 years, while serving as a staff nurse of the Territorial Force Nursing Service attached to the 57th General Hospital, Marseilles. An additional panel recording the 136 men killed during the Second World War has been placed at the foot of the podium on the eastern side of the memorial.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.