Monument to the fallen of the First and Second World War set in its own gardens, unveiled by Lt General Sir Francis Lloyd in November 1925.
Reason for Listing
The Leytonstone war memorial and gardens, unveiled in 1925, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First and Second World Wars, it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level.
* Architectural interest: as a strong composition set in its own gardens in a prominent location in Leytonstone.
The memorial was constructed by the firm of masons William Griffiths and Co Ltd and unveiled on 21 November 1925 to commemorate the men of Leyton and Leytonstone who fell during the First World War. The memorial was unveiled by Lt General Sir Francis Lloyd and was dedicated by the suffragan Bishop of Barking. The title deed of the memorial was given to the care of the District Council by Capt DM Smith JP (Chairman of the Memorial Trustees). The memorial was subsequently also used to commemorate the fallen of the Second World War.
The date of the construction of the garden around the memorial is not known.
A tapering granite obelisk on a shouldered plinth and stepped base. The bottom step is circular and the upper steps semi-octagonal. Wreaths in carved relief are located on the top of each face of the obelisk and with small tie mouldings at the base of the obelisk. No names are recorded on the memorial although there is evidence that metal plaques had once been attached to the base of the obelisk.
The inscription on the base reads:
TO THE GLORY OF GOD / IN HONOUR OF THOSE WHO SERVED. / IN SYMPATHY WITH THOSE WHO SUFFERED / AND / IN PROUD AND GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE / OF THE MEN OF / LEYTON AND LEYTONSTONE / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WARS / 1914 – 1918 – 1939 – 1945.
The gardens around the memorial are laid out in a triangular form with a brick boundary wall, granite curbing posts and chains. Each of the four entrances to the gardens is flanked by two piers, those at the main entrance supporting two electric light standards in the shape of flames.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.