Monument to the fallen of the First and Second World War unveiled by Vice Admiral Sir Hugh Evan-Thomas on 3 November 1922.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial, Faversham, unveiled in 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by this community in the First and Second World Wars it is of strong historic and cultural significance both at a local and a national level;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this sombre and dignified memorial.
It is not known who crafted the memorial, but it was unveiled by Vice Admiral Sir Hugh Evan-Thomas on 3 November 1922, to commemorate the men of Faversham who fell in the First World War. The memorial was subsequently also used to commemorate the fallen of the Second World War.
No names are recorded on the memorial, but an oak memorial panel in the Church of St Mary of Charity in Faversham is dedicated to the 199 men of Faversham who fell in The Great War and a book of remembrance marks their names with a separate book for the names of those who fell in the Second World War.
There is a further memorial of The Great War in Faversham Borough cemetery; to the 109 men and boys killed by an explosion at the Faversham Gunpowder Works on 2 April 1916.
A granite Celtic cross with a tapering shaft set on a tall tapering base. The cross sits on a square plinth on a two-stepped base with a flower holder placed in front. The cross face is enriched with relief decoration and floral bosses. The memorial is enclosed by later metal railings on a stone kerb, between granite piers.
The inscription on the base and flower holder reads:
IN / MEMORY OF OUR / GLORIOUS DEAD / 1914-1918 / 1939-1945 / GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN / THAN THIS THAT A MAN LAY DOWN / HIS LIFE FOR HIS FRIENDS / LEST WE FORGET
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.