A war memorial commemorating the dead of both world wars and also the local servicemen who served in the First World War.
Reason for Listing
Nesscliffe War Memorial, unveiled in 1920, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: it is a poignant reminder of the impact of tragic world events upon an individual community and, thus, has strong cultural and historical significance within both a local and national context;
* Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the simple form of the Celtic, wheel-head cross;
The design of the memorial was discussed by the parish council at a meeting in 1919 and the memorial was unveiled in November 1920 by Mrs Lewis with local clergy officiating.
A war memorial commemorating the dead of both world wars and also the local servicemen who served in the First World War. The memorial was unveiled in 1920 and is built of red sandstone and Yorkstone. The memorial is square on plan and raised on a bank to the east of the roadside and approached by a flight of steps.
The cross is of sandstone and has raised edges and a circle behind the cross head, similar to a Celtic cross. The shaft is tapered and there are circular bosses to the centre of the cross and each of the four arms. The square base connects to the plinth which has squared rubble to the corners and ashlar panels of York stone to the centre of each side, which bear inscriptions. These read, to the west, facing the road; ‘1914-18 / FOR FREEDOM AND RIGHT / (Names) / THEY GAVE ALL’. The northern face is inscribed ‘THESE ALSO SERVED / (Names)’ and the eastern and southern faces also have panels bearing names. The western face also has inscribed along the bottom of the sandstone plinth, the inscription ‘1939-45’ with three names below.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.