The headstone to Elizabeth Baylis lies approximately 20m east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence. It is dated 1635 and is constructed of sandstone.
Reason for Listing
The headstone to Elizabeth Baylis located approximately 20m to the east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence, and dated 1635, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: a rare example of a pre-1650 headstone that illustrates the history of St Lawrence’s churchyard;
* Decorative quality: the headstone exhibits good craftsmanship with decorative cusped and scrolled carvings;
* Inscription: the inscription clearly identifies Elizabeth Baylis and the date of death, and includes an epitaph of Latin verse;
* Group value: it has group value with the Church of St Lawrence (Grade II*).
The parish church of St Lawrence (Grade II*) was founded in the C12. The north aisle and chancel were added in the C13, and the tower and Lady Chapel were built in the early C16. There were further alterations in the 1860s when the chancel was largely rebuilt, and in 1874-78 the church was restored.
The headstone at the eastern edge of the churchyard commemorates Elizabeth Baylis who died in 1635.
The headstone to Elizabeth Baylis lies approximately 20 metres east of the chancel of the Church of St Lawrence. It is dated 1635 and is constructed of sandstone. It has a shaped top with cusped and scrolled carvings; the scroll to the left-hand side no longer survives. The recessed inscription panel reads: “MORS VITA/HERE LYETH/THE BODY OF ELIZA/BETH WIFE OF THOMAS/BAYLIS SHE DIED DE:18/1635 non habemus hic/civitarem manentem sed/futuram ???imus 13:14”
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.