Monument to the fallen of the First and Second World Wars unveiled c1921 and moved to its present location in 1984.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial in Memorial Park, Sandhurst, unveiled c1921 but moved to its present location in 1984, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as a permanent testament to the sacrifice made by the people of Sandhurst and those who passed through the Royal Military Academy in the First and Second World Wars. It is of strong historic and cultural significance both at local and national level;
* Architectural interest: for the quality of the design and craftsmanship of this elegant memorial.
The Sandhurst war memorial is now located in the Sandhurst Memorial Park. It was moved from another location on Yorktown Road in 1984 due to a threat from traffic. The memorial was originally unveiled in about 1921 but neither the dignitary who performed the unveiling nor the craftsmen responsible for constructing the memorial are known.
The inscription on the plinth commemorates those who fell in both the Great War and the Second World War.
The surrounding Memorial Gardens date to 1949 when the land was purchased by Sandhurst Parish Council to provide a public recreation ground for residents. The park has extended in area over time.
This war memorial should not be confused with the War Memorial to All Men 1927, which is in the grounds of the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst.
War memorial, erected about 1921.
A limestone Latin cross with a sword and wreath detail in relief on the front face. The cross has a chamfered base and sits on a tall square stone plinth and a three-stepped base. The plinth has an inset panel on the front face. The surrounding paved area is enclosed by iron railings on three sides.
The inscription on the plinth reads:
IN MEMORY OF THOSE WHO DIED FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ AD 1914 1918/ AD 1939-1945/ SANDHURST
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.