War memorial to the fallen of the First World War. Designed by W Douglas Caroe and unveiled in 1921. Dedication amended and names of the fallen of the Second World War added later.
Reason for Listing
Shortlands war memorial, unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
*Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on this community;
* Architectural interest: a simple and elegant design by the highly distinguished architect WD Caroe.
The First World War memorial was designed by W Douglas Caroe, architect to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners, and unveiled on 9 October 1921 by Lord Harris. The memorial was slightly damaged during an air raid in World War II. Metal plaques commemorating the fallen of both World Wars, and in subsequent conflicts, were added later.
The memorial is in the form of a 5m high Celtic cross. It is made of Leckhampton stone, with a chamfered and moulded plinth, and stands on a square, concrete-rendered, base bearing the names of the 63 fallen on three sides.
The arms of the cross bear the inscription ‘LIFT UP YOUR HEARTS’ on the front face and the shaft bears the dates ‘MCMXIV’ and ‘MCMXIX’. The front face of the base bears the inscription ‘OUR DEAD THROUGH WHOM WE LIVE’. Below this a metal plaque bears the inscription ‘TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN PROUD MEMORY/ OF THE/ MEN AND WOMEN OF SHORTLANDS/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN TWO WORLD WARS/ 1914-1918 1939-1945/ THEIR NAMES ARE INSCRIBED IN A BOOK OF REMEMBRANCE KEPT IN THE PARISH CHURCH’. An additional small metal plaque is inscribed’ ALSO REMEMBERED/ WITH GRATEFUL APPRECIATION/ THOSE WHO, SINCE THE SECOND WORLD WAR,/ HAVE GIVEN THEIR LIVES IN CONFLICTS/ AND PEACE KEEPING MISSIONS/ THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.’
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.