War Memorial, 1920.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial at Goodrich is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20;
* Architectural interest: an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the simple form of a brick and timber shelter;
* Intactness: the memorial is situated in its original location and survives intact with its associated stone steps and rubble-stone walled terraces.
The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War. The war memorial at Goodrich, located opposite the post office, was erected in 1920 at a cost of £40, raised by public subscription. It was built by Harry Morgan (Builder), Mark Truscott (Builder) and Alfred William Ursell (Mason), on land donated by Mrs Moffatt of Goodrich Court. The memorial was dedicated by local clergy and dignitaries on the 27 May 1923.
The war memorial received a grant from War Memorials Trust in 2001 for conservation and repair works to restore the lettering.
War Memorial, 1920.
MATERIALS: constructed of brick and timber with a plain clay tile roof.
DESCRIPTION: the war memorial is a three-sided brick and timber structure with a pitched timber roof creating a shelter. The barge boards of the gabled roof have foliate carving and a pendant to the apex. On the back wall is a First World War stone tablet with a timber crucifix above. The inscription reads:
FOR GOD FOR KING FOR COUNTRY
and below are the names of the seventy-seven men who served and returned, and the names of the nine men who died.
To the side walls are the Second World War stone tablets. The inscription reads: 1939 – 1945. Listed below are the names of the sixty-six men who served and returned and the names of the five men who died.
The lettering is painted black, with the names of the men who died in gold capital letters with a cross beside them.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: the war memorial is approached by a flight of stone steps with rubble-stone walled terraces to either side.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.