War memorial erected in 1922. Designed and commenced by Joseph Thewlis, of Leeds (1862-1921), on whose death the work was completed by WH Wilkinson, sculptor, of Birmingham.
Reason for Listing
Marsden War Memorial, erected in 1922, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: an imposing classical composition which forms a prominent landmark in Marsden Park; * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20.
The memorial was paid for by public subscription. It was unveiled on 19 August 1922 by Miss Robinson and dedicated by the Rev. CEG Spencer, Vicar of Marsden.
MATERIALS: Portland stone DESCRIPTION: the memorial occupies a prominent raised area in the south-east of the park. It stands on a circular stone platform and consists of a tall square shaft on a pedestal, a moulded base and a stepped plinth. The shaft has a deep moulded cornice; above is a swagged sarcophagus surmounted by an eternal flame. It is flanked by rectangular pedestal wings upon which are recumbent lions. The north and south faces of the pedestal are convex, each with a swagged cartouche inscribed 'PAX'. The north face is inscribed: 'IN HONOUR OF / THOSE WHO FOUGHT / IN SYMPATHY WITH / THOSE WHO SUFFERED / AND IN REMEMBRANCE OF / THOSE WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR / 1914 1918'. The south face is inscribed: 'IN PROUD AND / THANKFUL MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF MARSDEN / WHO FELL IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914 1918 / REST ETERNAL / GRANT THEM LORD.' Affixed to the north and south faces of the wings are four polished granite plaques inscribed with the names of the fallen of the First World War, 138 in total. The north face of the base, below the pedestal, is inscribed 'AND IN / 1939 1945' with plaques to either side with 34 names of those who fell in the Second World War.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.