War memorial, unveiled 1921.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial, in the churchyard of St Peter and St Paul’s church, Church Street, Sturton le Steeple, designed by Austin and Paley and unveiled in 1921, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: as an elegantly designed war memorial with finely carved details; * Group value: conferred by its close proximity to the Grade II* listed Church of St Peter and St Paul, and both the churchyard wall and Church Farm House, listed at Grade II.
The war memorial, in remembrance of men of Sturton le Steeple lost in the First World War, was unveiled on 2 June 1921 by Capt EWS Foljambe of Osberton Hall, and dedicated by the Archdeacon of Newark, the Ven Egbert Hacking. It was designed by Austin & Paley (of Lancaster) and made by A.O. Thoms (also of Lancaster). The names of those who fell in the Second World War were added after 1945.
War memorial by Austin and Paley, unveiled in 1921.The Darley Dale stone memorial comprises a medieval-style shafted cross set on a hexagonal plinth, which itself stands on a three-stage stepped circular base. The inscription is on the front face of the plinth, in raised lettering, beneath a raised laurel wreath. It reads THEIR NAME SHALL RESOUND FROM GENERATION TO GENERATION/TO THE HONOURED MEMORY OF THE MEN OF STURTON WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918 (names) and 1939-1945 (names).
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.