War memorial, 1922 by W H Snell & Sons.
Reason for Listing
Baltonsborough war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of a world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a cross of Portland stone; * Group value: it has a strong spatial and historic relationship with Baltonsborough’s other memorial which takes the form of a shell casing.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. The war memorial cross at Baltonsborough commemorates the six men of the village who died during the conflict. It was funded by public subscription and was carved by stonemasons W H Snell & Sons of Penzance. It was unveiled by Brigadier General H C Firth in August 1922. It was re-dedicated in November 1949 and an inscription was added to commemorate the two local men who lost their lives during the Second World War.
War memorial, 1922 by W H Snell & Sons.MATERIALS: constructed of Portland stone.DESCRIPTION: the memorial comprises a tapering cross of roughly-dressed stone which is axe-dressed to the edges of the shaft and the cross arms. It stands on a square plinth whose front (north-east) face is inscribed: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN/ PROUD AND GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE/ MEN OF BALTONSBOROUGH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR THEIR COUNTRY IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918. The names of the fallen are listed below. The north-west is inscribed with the names of those who lost their lives during the Second World War. The plinth rests on three octagonal steps around which are eight requiescat in pace (rest in peace) flower holders of Portland stone that are believed to be part of the original design; two of them are 1949 additions. SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: in front of the memorial is a post and chain link fence dating from the 1960s and a pair of Coronation gates of c.1981 which are excluded from the listing.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.