Cottage of c.1844.
Reason for Listing
Rose Cottage, a vernacular building of c.1844, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: this well-preserved, vernacular building conveys an honest and legible expression of rural domestic accommodation of a very simple type; * Intactness: it retains a significant proportion of historic fabric of this date, such as fireplaces, doors, windows and roof structure; * Lack of alteration: the cottage has not been modernised and retains its mid-C19 layout and appearance.
Rose Cottage is mentioned in a contract of 1847 which refers to an earlier contract of June 1844 that describes the dwelling as ‘lately erected’. The first edition Ordnance Survey map (published in 1887) shows the footprint of the cottage with a range of outbuildings against its south-east gable wall, set within a long, narrow plot which appears to have originally been a plough strip. The outbuildings were demolished in 2014.
Cottage of c.1844.MATERIALS: the building is constructed of random local white Lias stone rubble which was previously covered with roughcast render which has mostly been removed (2014). The roof is clad with double Roman clay tiles with a stepped stone coping to the north-west gable and brick end chimney stacks.PLAN: a two-roomed, single-depth plan, orientated north-west to south-east.EXTERIOR: the mid-C19 cottage is of two storeys and two bays. It has a central entrance with a later open porch that has a gabled roof of triple Roman tiles. This is flanked by timber casement windows to the ground floor, and two windows above. The plain boarded door is mid-C19; the two-light casements have horizontal glazing bars; the lintels are of cut and squared white Lias; and the sills are also stone. The left return has a small, single first-floor window to the side of the stack, while the rear elevation is blind except for a single window to the western end of the ground floor. The south-east gable end also has a small window with horizontal glazing bar at first-floor level. INTERIOR: the entrance door opens onto the kitchen which has a fireplace with large timber bressumer and a cast-iron range. The ceiling joists are exposed, and the room also houses the staircase which is screened off by a partition of wide elm boards; it has a plank and batten door at its foot. The adjacent sitting room has a fireplace that has a square-headed surround with a dentil cornice below the mantelshelf; it retains a C19 hob grate. A later and slightly smaller fire surround has been fixed to the front of the earlier one. To either side of the fireplace is a display cupboard which is recessed into the wall and has a glazed door, though the glass is missing. There are two rooms to the first floor, one of which retains a small cupboard to the side of the stack. To the top of the stairs is a balustrade which consists of what appears to be a section of re-used balusters and handrail and possibly part of a coffer. The infill to the ceiling is lath and plaster. The roof has a single principal rafter, a row of staggered purlins, and common rafters; it is insulated with straw.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.