Mid-C18 threshing barn, re-roofed in the C20.
Reason for Listing
The barn at Nos 107-109 Westwood Road, a three bay aisled timber-framed threshing barn dated 1756, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Architectural interest: this is an impressive barn retaining its original plan form and internally retaining its jowled aisle posts on brick and timber padstones and most of the wall frame; * Rarity: traditional agricultural buildings in Thanet District are increasingly rare and this barn is a witness to this particular area's pre-urban past; * Dated building: a graffito on an aisle-post dated 1756 with the initials H L within the representation of a gabled building is particularly unusual.
An aisle post has a graffito of a building with the date 1756 (twice) and the initials H L. This structure appears on an 1802 map. It is also shown with its current footprint on the First Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map of 1876 and without alteration on subsequent editions of 1896, 1907 and 1936.
Mid-C18 threshing barn dated 1756 by a graffito, re-roofed in the C20.MATERIALS: timber-framed on a flint plinth, clad in weather-boarding, some tarred but north wall of flint with yellow brick quoins. Half-hipped roof, probably originally thatched but now covered in corrugated iron sheeting. PLAN: an aisled barn of three bays with central cart entrance.EXTERIOR: the west side has double wooden cart doors with iron hinges. The cart doors have been removed on the east side but it retains old tarred weatherboarding. The north wall is of flint with yellow brick quoins, a band between the floors, and a red brick window surround with a hinged plank opening. The upper part of the south side has been clad in corrugated iron. INTERIOR: the aisle posts are jowled posts with curved profiles and have curved tension braces on to both tie beams and wallplates. They are set on brick and timber padstones, the width of the aisles. A south aisle post and tie beam are rough hewn. One aisle post has a graffito of a gabled building with the date 1756 (twice) and the initials H L. The wall frame has been covered in C20 sheeting but studs are visible at least partly on three sides and a curved brace is visible on the west side. The frame of the south side has been replaced in the C20. The roof structure of purlins, collar beams and rafters has been replaced, probably in the C20.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.