War memorial, erected in the 1920s; further inscriptions added after the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
The war memorial in the churchyard of St Katharine’s Church is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: a crisply-carved composition that is well suited to its prominent location in the churchyard; * Group value: with the Grade II* listed Church of St Katharine’s.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever, with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was erected within the churchyard of St Katharine’s Church to commemorate the eight local men who died during the conflict. After the Second World War a further two names were added in memory of those men who died during the war.
War memorial, erected in the 1920s; further inscriptions added after the Second World War.MATERIALS: constructed of limestone.DESCRIPTION: the war memorial has an octagonal base on which are two steps; the lower of which is inscribed in black painted lettering: LEST WE FORGET; the upper with: DECLARATION OF WAR AUG 4 1914/ ARMISTICE NOVEMBER 11 1918/ PEACE SIGNED JUNE 28 1919. It also carries the names of the two men who died during the Second World War and 1939-1945. Above the steps is an octagonal plinth with a moulded base on which is inscribed: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY/ OF THE ABOVE/ MEN OF/ THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES IN THE/ GREAT WAR. The names of the fallen are recorded on the faces of the plinth. The shaft is also octagonal and its lower and upper sections have a carved blind arcade of lancets with trefoil heads; the upper one is set within bands of incised strapwork. The upper part of the shaft takes the form of a capital with the inscription IHS to the north and south faces. It is surmounted by a Celtic cross with boss terminals to the arms and to four points of the circle.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.