Gasholder, 1883, for the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company. Pursuant to s.1 (5A) of the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 (‘the Act’) it is declared that the modern brick plinth on which the structure stands is not of special architectural or historic interest.
Reason for Listing
Gasholder no. 8, 1883, for the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons:* Historic interest: as a remnant of one of London’s major C19 gas works and a reminder of the former industrial use of the urban site; * Aesthetic interest: by their nature gasholders are prominent landmarks, and this is a striking example with the utilitarian structure enriched with classical detailing.
The Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company’s gasworks at St Pancras was opened in the 1820s. Two groups of gasholders were situated on either side of Wharf Road; the original gasholder no. 8 was the largest of the eastern group of seven that ranged between c15m and 42m. As its levels of production increased, the earlier, smaller, gasholders were replaced with larger ones, and more were built; by the end of the 1860s it was the largest gasworks in the country. The company was taken over by the Gas Light and Coke Company in 1876. Gasholder no. 8 was erected in 1883 retaining a tank from the 1850s. The guide frame was the last to be built to the designs of John Clark, and is a Type 14, as defined by Tucker in his London Gasholders Survey. This type is characterised by a double order of cast-iron columns, the first examples of which date from the late 1850s. Production of gas ceased in the early C20, though the holders remained in use for gas storage until the late C20. Gasholder no. 8 was listed in 1986, along with three others to the west of Wharf Road. All were dismantled in the early C21 and the guide frame of gasholder no. 8 was re-erected 400m to the north (its current location) in 2014.
Gasholder guide frame, erected in 1883 for the Imperial Gas Light and Coke Company.ARCHITECT: the structure is of a design by John Clark and built by CF Clegg, with ironwork by Westwood and Wright under company engineer Mr Kirkham.EXTERIOR: a ‘Type 14’ iron guide frame, circular in plan. It has two orders of 16 cast iron columns: Doric with triglyphs, and a simplified waterleaf Ionic with a wide square cornice, linked by horizontal wrought-iron I-section lattice girders.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.