A First World War memorial, erected circa 1920, with Second World War additions.
Reason for Listing
Shepton Montague war memorial, erected circa 1920, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of a world events on this community, and the sacrifices it has made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross; * Group value: it forms a strong group with the church of St Peter, the base of the C15 churchyard cross and three C17 chest tombs, all of which are listed at Grade II.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in St Peter's churchyard in Shepton Montague, to commemorate the five men of the parish who died during the conflict. Following the Second World War a second dedicatory inscription was added to commemorate the three local men who died during this conflict.
A First World War memorial, erected circa 1920, with Second World War additions. MATERIALS: of rock-faced Doulting stone with a concrete base.PLAN: it is square-on-plan. DETAILS: the memorial stands in the west corner of St Peter’s churchyard and takes the form of a Celtic wheel-head cross with a south-west facing principal face. The churchyard wall has been reduced in height so that the memorial is visible form the passing road. It comprises a single-step base upon which sits a plinth which in turn supports a square, tapering socket stone. A tapering shaft rises from the socket stone and is topped by a wheel-head cross carved with Celtic designs in relief. The south-west faces of both the socket stone and plinth are dressed and contain dedicatory inscriptions. The inscription on the socket stone reads: ‘IN MEMORY OF / THE MEN OF THIS PARISH / WHO FELL IN THE / GREAT WAR 1914-1918, / KILLED AND MISSING / [Names] and the plinth is inscribed: ‘ALSO 1939-1945 / [Names]’.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.