A war memorial clock tower, designed by Peter Falconer (1916-2003), constructed in 1951-2.
Reason for Listing
Nailsworth war memorial clock tower is listed at Grade II, for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20 * Architectural interest: as a relatively unusual form of war memorial, particularly for its post-Second World War date; * Group value: with the related war memorial cross, further to the south of the town.
The clock tower was erected in 1951-2 as a memorial to the men of the civil parish of Nailsworth who fell in both the First and Second World Wars. It was designed by Peter Falconer, a prominent local and national architect who practised from nearby Stroud, and son of Arts and Crafts architect Thomas Falconer. The tower is sited prominently within a small garden at the centre of the settlement, in a location previously occupied by a memorial fountain, designed by G F Playne and built in 1862; this was resited a little to the south west to make way for the new clock tower. The structure, built as a clock tower, houses a clock by Gillett & Johnston, and two C18 bells from the old chapel of St George, which was built in 1794 and replaced in 1898 by the current Church of St George.
A war memorial clock tower, designed by Peter Falconer (1916-2003), constructed in 1951-2. MATERIALS: the tower is constructed from limestone rubble, with ashlar limestone dressings. PLAN: the tower has a square footprint and stands within a green area in the centre of the settlement.EXTERIOR: the clock tower, which tapers slightly towards the top, has four equal faces, built in rubble stone between ashlar quoins. To the south-western face, the moulded entrance doorway houses a three-panelled, raised and fielded timber door, to which is affixed an engraved brass plaque. The plaque reads: THIS CLOCK TOWER ERECTED / IN 1951 STANDS AS A MEMORIAL / TO ALL THOSE OF THE CIVIL / PARISH OF NAILSWORTH / WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WARS / 1914-1918 AND 1939-1945. Towards the top of each elevation a white clock face with black Roman numerals sits within a moulded stone surround. The tower terminates with a moulding, from which a plain, cylindrical pillar rises at each corner. These support an overhanging, square cap. INTERIOR: the tower houses a clock mechanism manufactured by Gillett & Johnston with ting-tang and strike gear utilising two of the bells cast by Joseph Rudhall in 1795 for the old Chapel of St George.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.