Former temperance building constructed in Queen Anne style sometime between 1879 and 1889 by Countess Zetland.
Reason for Listing
Richmond's former Countess Zetland's Cocoa Rooms of c.1880 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:* Architecture: as a fine example of Queen Anne style architecture, particularly displayed by the elaborate design of its windows, but also for the building's overall design in terms of detailing, massing and subtle asymmetry; * Social history: as an example of the involvement of sections of the aristocracy in the temperance movement following the 1867 Reform Act, providing attractive venues for the lower classes to socialise away from alcohol; * Rarity: as a regionally rare example of an architectural style more commonly employed in London and the Home Counties.
It is said that a drunken customer from the Zetland Arms on Gallowgate caused the horse drawing Lady Zetland's carriage to bolt, the incident being so disturbing that the Countess saw to it that the public house's licence was revoked. To provide an alternative, Lady Zetland commissioned the building of a temperance refreshment rooms which opened on Kings Street sometime between 1879 and 1889: the Zetland Cocoa Rooms being noted in Bulmer's History and Directory of 1890, naming Mrs M Owen as manageress and describing it as 'a neat building in Queen Anne style, situated in King Street, erected by the Countess of Zetland'. The architect is unknown, although the form of the windows is very similar to a number of designs by Norman Shaw built in the 1870s, but also used subsequently by other architects. The building is said to make use of a number of ship's timbers in its construction, this taken to explain why the elevation facing King Street bows slightly outwards.
Commercial premises, formerly a temperance refreshment rooms, built 1879-89 for the Countess of Zetland. Queen Anne style. MATERIALS: coursed, squared limestone with limestone ashlar plinth, quoins and cill bands. Welsh slate roof, cast iron rainwater goods.PLAN: internal layout has undergone some alteration with the addition of a glazed partition on the ground floor and the insertion of new door and archways through the original internal walls.EXTERIOR: the building is of two storeys beneath a hipped roof, with principal elevations to the east and north featuring full-height projecting bays which are flat fronted but with curved sides. The ground floor windows to these bays each has a sunrise-pattern upper light above a 12-pane lower light, all formed with timber glazing bars. Bridging a gap between the sunrise light and the window lintel is a corbel which is flanked by small, leaded lights, the curving sides of the bay also being leaded. The window lintel has a dentilated cornice supporting a scrolled pediment which projects from the timber panelling rising to the upper floor window cill, the central panel being decorated by a double festoon. The upper windows are cross mullioned with two 4-paned upper lights above two 6-paned lower lights, the curved side lights to the bay again being leaded. The lintel is again dentilated, continuing as an eaves cornice around the building to support the deeply overhanging roof. East elevation: this is asymmetric with three of the full height bays described above, the entrance being sited between the southern two bays. The southern-most ground floor window has lost the glazing bars to its lower light. The entrance has an ornate timber canopy forming an open porch. This canopy is supported by shaped timber brackets and features a dentilated cornice matching those of the windows. Hanging in front of the canopy there is a sign shaped like a square lantern displaying the name "The Old Cocoa Rooms". Supported above the canopy there is a decorative wrought iron surround for a sign surmounted by a Countess's crown. The sign framed by this surround is modern and not of special interest. Rising from the centre of the roof between the northern two bays is a four flue chimney stack, a second similar, but shorter stack rises from the centre of the southern end wall. Both chimney stacks have a Roman Doric entablature with a frieze featuring triglyphs, the chimney pots being square with simple cornices.North elevation: this is broadly symmetrical except for a slight, ground floor projection to the west. The elevation features two of the full height projecting bays described above. The western ground floor window has lost the glazing bars to the lower light, the sunrise glazing bars above still remaining.South elevation: this is asymmetric and utilitarian and includes a metal fire-escape staircase to the upper floor which is not of special interest.West elevation: abuts the neighbouring public house. INTERIOR: is simply detailed but includes cornicing to ceilings. Fireplaces have been lost, but chimney breasts are retained. The principal ground floor room (north eastern) has wood panelling to dado level, some being original but most being modern renovation.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.