C19 boundary walls with later additions to the churchyard of Parish church of St Cuthbert's and to the south of St Cuthbert's Victory/Parish Hall.
Reason for Listing
The C19 churchyard boundary wall with later additions at St Cuthbert's Church and the boundary wall south of St Cuthbert's Victory/Parish Hall are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Group value: the boundary walls are closely related to a number of Grade II listed structures that are in effect satellites of the Grade II* listed Parish church of St Cuthbert; * Regional distinctiveness: the cobbled lengths of the boundary walls in particular are good examples of the local vernacular architectural style.
The southern churchyard boundary wall and the cobble-built southern halves of the west and east churchyard boundary walls associated with the Church of St Cuthbert are thought to be contemporary with the church's construction in 1834-5. Historic maps show that the churchyard has been extended to the north twice - once by 1891 and latterly after 1921 and these extensions to the churchyard wall were built in brick. The cobble-built southern boundary wall of the Victory/Parish Hall, together with the cobble-built parts of the churchyard wall, resemble the Grade II listed Southern Boundary Wall to Vicarage Garden dated to about 1840 and located a short distance to the west (List Entry 1297685).
Boundary walls surrounding the St Cuthbert's churchyard and along the southern side of the associated Victory/Parish Hall considered to date to 1834-5 to about 1840 with C19 and C20 extensions to the west, north and east churchyard walls.The southern part of the churchyard's western boundary wall is about 1.5m high and is of cobble construction with a chamfered stone coping. The remainder of the western wall, the churchyard's north wall and the northern half of its eastern wall is of brick construction of two phases with a rounded stone coping topping the first phase and a flat stone coping topping the later phase. A small length of crenellated brick wall close to the mid-point of the churchyard's eastern wall separates the later brick wall from the earlier cobble-built wall which is about 1m high with a chamfered stone coping. The churchyard's southern wall is of brick construction about 1m high with a chamfered stone coping. At either end of this wall, where it forms a junction with the cobble walls, there are stone terminal piers stood on top of the brick wall. The piers are square in plan and have chamfered edges, gables to each face and a central inlaid moulded panel on the southern face. A modern timber lychgate gives access into the churchyard from the south.The western part of the southern boundary wall to the Victory/Parish Hall is the same height as the adjacent southern boundary wall of the churchyard. It is cobble construction with a chamfered stone coping. Gate piers to either side of two entrance drives are of brick on stone plinths with a stone band at three quarters height and are each topped with stone copings moulded to present gables on all four faces. To the east of the eastern gate pier the cobble wall is about 1.5m high and is topped with a chamfered stone coping.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.