First World War memorial. 1922, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Huncoat War Memorial, which stands in the Recreation Ground off Burnley Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
The war memorial in remembrance of the men of Huncoat lost in the First World War was unveiled by local clergy and dignitaries on 29 April 1922. The memorial was repaired in 1936 after being blown over in a storm. Its railings, part of the original design, were removed in 1939. The names of those who died in the Second World War were added after 1945.
The war memorial stands on high ground on the southern side of the Recreation Ground. Nearly 5m tall, it is in the form of a stone Celtic cross raised on a plinth and standing on a three-stepped base. The arms of the cross are decorated with an interlace pattern. It is surrounded by a square area of sunken paving. The inscriptions and names are recorded on the plinth and the middle steps. The inscription to those lost in the First World War reads TO OUR GLORIOUS DEAD/ THIS MEMORIAL WAS ERECTED BY/ PUBLIC SUBSCRIPTION AD 1922/ IN ETERNAL REMEMBRANCE OF/ THE MEN OF HUNCOAT/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN THAN THIS
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.