First World War memorial. 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Wadhurst War Memorial, which stands in the Memorial Garden on High Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a modest but elegant memorial by noted architect Sir Herbert Baker.
The memorial was erected in remembrance of the men of Wadhurst lost in the First World War and unveiled by Lt Cl G L Courthorpe on 8 May 1921. The architect was Sir Herbert Baker (1862-1946), who designed a significant number of important memorials and military cemeteries and was one of the Imperial War Graves Commission’s principal architects from 1917 to 1928. The masons were the local firm A Burslem and Sons Ltd.Additional inscriptions for the Second World War were made at a later date. The memorial was refurbished during 2014 by A Burslem and Sons Ltd and Arthur C Towner Ltd.To recognise that more men from Wadhurst died in service during the First World War than were originally named on the war memorial, in 2014 an additional memorial stone was placed in the Memorial Garden.
The memorial, in Portland stone, is approximately 4m tall. It is in the form of an ornate wheel-head cross featuring spiral patterns carved in relief, mounted on an octagonal column. This stands on an octagonal plinth, raised on a three-stepped octagonal base. The memorial stands on area of stone paving within a small, hedged, garden.The inscriptions are recorded around the plinth of the memorial as follows: IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THE HUNDRED AND FOURTEEN MEN OF WADHURST WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1919/ LET THOSE WHO COME AFTER SEE TO IT THAT THEY BE NOT FORGOTTEN/ (NAMES)/ AND OF THOSE WHO FELL IN THE SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945 (NAMES)A small Portland stone block stands to the left of the war memorial. Erected in 2014, this bears a carving of the First World War memorial's wheel-head cross and an inscription as follows: WADHURST’S WAR MEMORIAL WAS/ ORIGINALLY CONSTRUCTED AND/ DEDICATED IN 1921. IN THIS CENTENARY/ YEAR OF THE DECLARATION OF WAR IN/ 1914 THIS STONE IS DEDICATED TO/ THE MEMORY OF ALL FROM WADHURST/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES INCLUDING/ THOSE WHOSE NAMES ARE NOT/ OTHERWISE RECORDED HERE
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.