War memorial, probably erected 1920. Later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Shepreth’s War Memorial, which stands on the Green in front of Docwra’s Manor, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a modest yet well executed memorial; * Group value: the memorial has group value with the Grade II*-listed Docwra’s Manor, the Grade II-listed gates, piers and walls of Docwra’s Manor, and other listed structures that stand around the Green.
The memorial was probably erected in 1920, the year it was professionally photographed, with wreaths at its base, by H C Chapman of Barrington. An incorrectly spelt name was corrected in 2013, following which the memorial was re-dedicated.
Shepreth’s war memorial stands on a small Green defined by High Street and Meldreth Road. It is a 3.5m high Celtic cross in granite, the head set on a tapered shaft mounted on a tapered plinth on a three-stepped square base. Inscribed in relief on the head and shaft is:TO/ THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND/ IN/ MEMORY/ OF/ THE/ MEN/ OF/ THIS/ VILLAGE/ WHO/ GAVE/ THEIR/ LIVES/ IN/ THE/ GREAT/ WAR/ 1914/ 1918On the plinth are the ten names of those who died in the First World War; the names of three men who died in the Second have been added below. The memorial has a flagged surround defined by a low chain suspended on squat stone posts.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.