War memorial, 1921 with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Swaffham Bulbeck’s War Memorial, which stands on Stocks Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a modest yet well executed memorial by a local company.
The war memorial was constructed by Messrs Goddard of Bury St Edmunds and H and F Stevens of Swaffham Bulbeck. It was unveiled on 16 January 1921 and dedicated by the Bishop of Ely. Following a War Memorials Trust grant, it was cleaned and repaired in 2010.
The war memorial stands in a prominent position on Stocks Green in the village. It takes the form of a fairly short Celtic cross of rough-hewn Cornish granite, set on a tapered plinth, itself on a short granite base. The whole is raised on a two-stepped lime concrete base. The front of the plinth is dressed smooth and carries the inscription IN HONOURED MEMORY OF/ PARISHIONERS WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR 1914-1918/ (15 NAMES)/ THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE. Beneath this the granite base has been chamfered to accommodate the dates 1939-1945 and three additional names of the men who died in the Second World War.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.