War memorial. Presumably erected c1920.
Reason for Listing
Tansor’s War Memorial, which stands alongside the church of St Mary the Virgin, is listed at Grade II for the following reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: it stands alongside the Grade II*-listed church of St Mary the Virgin.
The war memorial was presumably erected in or soon after 1920 like the majority of those across the country. The six men from the village who died during the First World War fell in a fourteen month period during 1916 and 1917.
The memorial stands in the churchyard, close to the east end of the Grade II*-listed church of St Mary the Virgin. Approximately 3m tall, it consists of a limestone cross in the medieval style, with a Greek cross head with a raised crown on the face set on a rectangular shaft. This rises from an octagonal plinth which stands on a two-stepped octagonal base. Four of the plinth’s faces bear the inscriptions:(first face) TO THE GLORIOUS/ MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF TANSOR/ WHO GAVE THEIR/ LIVES FOR THEIR/ COUNTRY 1914-1918/ THEIR NAME LIVETH/ FOR EVERMORE(second face) THAT HAVING/ ALL THINGS/ DONE, AND ALL/ YOUR CONFLICTS/ PAST, YE MAY/ OBTAIN THROUGH/ CHRIST ALONE/ A CROWN OF/ JOY AT LAST.(third face) THEIR REWARD/ IS WITH THE/ LORD AND THE/ CARE OF THEM/ IS WITH THE/ MOST HIGH.The names of the six men of the parish who died are inscribed on a fourth face.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.