War memorial unveiled 1921 with additional inscription following the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Chiswick war memorial, Turnham Green, unveiled in 1921, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of an obelisk.
The memorial to the fallen of the First World War was designed by Edward Willis FSI, Engineer and Architect to the Chiswick Urban District Council, and built by Messrs Fenning and Co of Hammersmith. It was unveiled on 13 November 1921 at a ceremony presided over by the Duke of Devonshire and the Bishop of London. Willis was also responsible for the design of the Memorial Fund's Chiswick War Memorial Rest Homes, Burlington Lane, Chiswick. Housing disabled servicemen, these were completed in the same year.The monument was originally surrounded by metal railings which have since been removed.
War memorial unveiled in 1921, designed by Edward Willis.MATERIALS: Cornish granite. PLAN: located at the eastern corner of Turnham Green, the memorial consists of an obelisk set on a square earthen mound topped with granite paving and a low tubular bronze rail running between bevelled square granite piers. The rail continues down a flight of five granite steps on the north-east side of the monument. DESCRIPTION: the obelisk is set on a plinth with a moulded top and two-stepped base. The shaft has a bronze laurel wreath and the plinth bears a bronze plaque with the legend ‘IN GRATEFUL/ MEMORY OF THE/ MEN OF CHISWICK/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914…1918’. The upper step of the base is inscribed, ‘AND IN THE WORLD WAR/ 1939-1945’. SUBSIDIARY FEATURE: the mound is bordered by a stone kerb.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.