First World War memorial, 1922. Later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Kingsclere Memorial Cross, which is situated in the grounds of St Mary’s Church on Newbury Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a well-proportioned example of the cross type of memorial; * Group value: the memorial has group value with the Grade II*-listed church of St Mary and several surrounding listed buildings.
The war memorial was unveiled in 1922 to commemorate 25 servicemen who died during the First World War. After the Second World War a further nine names were added.
The war memorial stands in the grounds of St Mary’s Church. It is in the form of a stone cross mounted on a 5m tall hexagonal stone shaft. The shaft stands on a square plinth with recessed panels on all sides containing inscriptions and names. The plinth stands on three octagonal steps. The memorial is surrounded by a narrow flower bed. Two steps lead up to the memorial from pavement level on Newbury Road. Ten posts carrying a chain surround the memorial on three sides.The West panel of the plinth bears the inscription THESE AT THE CALL OF KING AND COUNTRY/ LEFT ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO THEM/ ENDURED HARDNESS, FACED DANGER AND/ FINALLY PASSED OUT OF THE SIGHT OF MEN/ BY THE PATH OF DUTY AND SELF SACRIFICE (NAMES)The East panel of the plinth contains a decorative relief of crossed swords within a wreath and the dates 1914 1918 1939 1945 are inscribed in each corner. Above this relief panel, incised on the base of the cross, there is the inscription TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY OF THE BRAVE MEN OF/ KINGSCLERE/ DEAR SHALL THEIR BLOOD BE IN HIS SIGHTNames are inscribed into the North and South panels of the plinth.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.