First World War memorial,1920. Later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Whittlesford Cross, at Guildhall Corner, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a modest yet well executed memorial; * Group value: several other listed structures stand around the road junction including the Grade II*-listed medieval Guildhall.
The war memorial was unveiled on 25 January 1920. Following the Second World War, eight names were added to the memorial.
The memorial stands at Guildhall Corner, on a main road junction in the village. Of Portland stone it comprises a Latin cross at the head of a tall, slender, shaft, the whole in the style of a medieval churchyard cross. The shaft engages with a square, two-stage, plinth. On the principal, lower, part of the plinth facing the road is the inscription IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF/ WHITTLESFORD/ WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ 1914 - 1918/ IN HOPE OF ETERNAL LIFEFifteen names are carved on the sides of the plinth and on the rear GREATER LOVE/ HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS/ THAT A MAN/ LAY DOWN HIS LIFE/ FOR HIS FRIENDSwhile on the upper part of the plinth is 1939 - 1945 (8 NAMES).The whole stands on a three-stage octagonal stepped base.The memorial space is defined to the rear by an angled brick wall surmounted with railings.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.