War memorial, c1920 with later additions.
Reason for Listing
Abthorpe Memorial Cross, which stands on the churchyard wall of St John's Church, is listed at Grade II for the following reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a well-executed medieval-style cross; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed church of St John.
The memorial was presumably erected c1920, like most of the country’s war memorials.
The memorial stands on the east wall of the churchyard of the Grade II-listed church of St John, facing on to the village green. It comprises a 3m high limestone cross, with an inverted sword running down the front face. At the bottom of the shaft is a small raised shield bearing the cross of St George. The cross rises from an octagonal plinth, set on an octagonal base.The plinth carries an inscription carved in relief reading TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN LOVING MEMORY/ (6 NAMES)/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THE DEFENCE OF OUR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918/ ALSO (the names of those who served and returned are inscribed on a square stone beneath a hood mould set in the churchyard wall beneath the memorial).A metal plaque installed in 2005 on the upper stage of the base repeats the principal wording on the plinth. The name of one man who fell in the Second World War was added to the monument after that conflict.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.