A churchyard war memorial for an urban church of c.1920. Probably designed by George Fellowes Prynne.
Reason for Listing
The War Memorial in the churchyard of the Church of St Martin, London Road, Worcester, is recommended for listing at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial which takes the form of a cross with shaft rising from an octagonal plinth; * Group value: with the church of St Martin, London Road, Worcester (Grade II).
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was the war memorial at the church of St Martin, Worcester. The churchyard memorial was unveiled on 14 November 1920 and records the fallen from the First World War.
A churchyard war memorial for an urban church of unveiled on 14 November 1920 and designed and built by David Bros of Barbourne and paid for by public subscription.The cross is of stone ashlar, with inscribed lettering and octagonal on plan. The monument is oriented to face south towards the road. The cross at the apex has octagonal arms. Below this the tapered, octagonal shaft has a moulded cap and rises from the plinth which has an ogee-moulded cap with roll and cavetto mouldings to the edge. The eight sides are inscribed, that on the south face bearing the words ‘IN / GRATEFUL MEMORY / OF THE MEN OF / THIS PARISH WHO / IN THE / GREAT WAR / 1914-1919 / GAVE THEIR LIVES / FOR THEIR COUNTRY. Names of the fallen fill the other seven sides. The base of the plinth has a roll and hollow chamfer moulding and the platform has three octagonal steps.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.