First World War memorial, 1921. Later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
West Hill (Devon) Memorial Cross, which is situated on the Green at the junction of West Hill Road and School Lane, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a modest yet well-executed example of the cross type in the local stone.
The memorial was unveiled on 30 January 1921 by Major Morrison-Bell in remembrance of the men of West Hill who died in the First World War. Further inscriptions and names were added following the Second World War.
The memorial stands on a small Green at the junction of School Lane and West Hill Road. The triangular Green is marked at each corner by three granite boulders. The memorial is made of rough-hewn Dartmoor granite and comprises a Maltese cross on a 2.5m tall tapering shaft, raised on a square plinth. The plinth stands on a two-stepped base, placed in a square, kerbed and gravelled area.The dedication and names are recorded on the plinth in applied lead lettering. The dedication reads TO THE GLORY OF GOD & IN/ MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ WEST HILL WHO DIED IN THE/ GREAT WAR/ (NAMES)On the front face of the first step THEIR NAMES SHALL REMAIN FOREVER AND/ THEIR GLORY SHALL NOT BE BLOTTED OUTThe first step also carries the dedication 1939 - 1945 (NAMES)
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.