A village war memorial of c. 1920.
Reason for Listing
Alfrick War Memorial, Clay Green, Alfrick, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was Alfrick War Memorial, of c. 1920. A stone plaque commemorating the fallen from the Second World War was added c.1945. The monument has been little altered since its construction.
A village War Memorial of c. 1920.MATERIALS & PLAN: limestone ashlar with octagonal platform and square upper body. DESCRIPTION: the principal front faces north-east. The cross is square in section with raised corners and a long shaft. It has carved foliage ornament to the ends of the arms and a figure of Christ crucified. The plinth is also square in section and has moulding to the angles at the top. The following, inscribed wording runs around the tops of all four sides, starting at the north-east side: ‘TO THE GLORY / OF GOD : WE HAVE COME / THROUGH THE : VALLEY OF SHADOWS / AND WE HAVE : WON TO THE / LIGHT AGAIN’. Names of the fallen are inscribed on all four sides. To the bottom of the north-east side is also inscribed ‘WE REMEMBER THE COST / OF OUR RANSOM’ and immediately below this is an angled plaque which records the fallen from the Second World War. The stepped, octagonal platform rises from the lawn surrounding the monument.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.