First World War Memorial of 1919, designed by architect J Madge. A further inscription was added in 1948. Restored in 2014.
Reason for Listing
Chaffcombe War Memorial which was erected in 1919 is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20. * Design: a well-proportioned and accomplished memorial in the form of a tapering shaft surmounted by a cross.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the single biggest wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across the country. One such memorial was erected in the village of Chaffcombe and is understood to be one of the earliest to be erected in the county. It was designed by architect J Madge, built by H Bishop of Chard, and the foundation stone was laid on 24 July 1919 by Miss Betty Hartley. The unveiling ceremony took place on 27 September 1919. The memorial commemorates the thirteen men (one being added at a later date) of the parish who died during the First World War and further inscriptions were added in 1948 in memory of the four men who died during the Second World War. The war memorial was restored in 2014.
First World War Memorial of 1919 designed by architect J Madge. A further inscription was added in 1948. Restored in 2014.MATERIAL: carved from Hamstone.DESCRIPTION: the war memorial stands in a prominent position at a junction in the centre of the village and is octagonal on plan. It has a three-stepped base surmounted by a square plinth which carries inscriptions to the fallen of both the First and Second World Wars. The First World War inscriptions are carved in recessed panels. The east face is inscribed: AT THE GOING DOWN OF THE SUN/ AND IN THE MORNING/ WE WILL REMEMBER THEM./ THE LORD GAVE/ AND THE LORD HATH TAKEN AWAY/ BLESSED BE THE NAME OF THE LORD; and the west face: TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914–1918. The north and south sides of the plinth carry the names, rank and regiment of those who died; the inscription on the north side is carved on a later, raised panel. An inscription on the upper step of the base carried the names, rank and regiment of the men who died in the Second World War. The tapering, octagonal shaft rises to a cross, said to be a replica of the Military Cross. It has decorative terminals and both faces are carved with four crowns in relief and a monogram at the centre.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.