First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Great Shelford’s war memorial, which stands on a small green where the High Street meets the A1301, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: an elegant limestone cross.
The memorial was unveiled on 2 January 1921. The architect was Fred Baccus. Names of those who died in the Second World War were added at a later date.
The Great Shelford war memorial, a c 7m high limestone cross, stands on a small green where the High Street meets the A1301. The tapered octagonal shaft carries upwards to form the upright of the cross-head, the horizontal of which is also octagonal. The shaft rises from a plinth which is square but with heavily chamfered corners.On the plinth’s front face is inscribed TO/ THE MEMORY/ OF THE MEN/ AND WOMEN/ OF THIS/ VILLAGE/ WHO GAVE/ THEIR LIVES IN/ THE GREAT WARS/ 1914-18. 1939-45./ THEIR NAME LIVETH EVERMORE. The names of those who fell in the First World War appear on the two sides of the plinth, and the Second World War dead on its rear. The plinth stands on a two-stage octagonal base. A small grassed surround is defined by stone kerb, as is a narrow path to the rear.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.