First World War memorial, c1920.
Reason for Listing
Glapthorn War Memorial, standing in the churchyard of St Leonard’s Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: an elegant medieval-style limestone cross; * Group value: with the Grade II*-listed St Leonard’s church.
The memorial was presumably constructed c1920 like most English war memorials. It commemorates the 12 local servicemen who died during the First World War, and one man who died in 1921. Recent cleaning and repair work included the fitting of a metal collar to the base of the cross.
The war memorial stands in the churchyard of St Leonard’s Church (Grade II*-listed), to the north-east of the church. It comprises a c3.5m tall, medieval-style, limestone cross with small wheel-head and a tapering shaft. That is set on a square plinth, itself set on a two-stage square base with chamfered corners. The whole monument is set on a concrete base.On the front of the plinth is inscribed IN MEMORY OF/ THE MEN OF GLAPTHORNE/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR/ ENGLAND / 1914-1918. On the front of the top stage of the base is carved GREATER LOVE HATH NO MAN/ THAN THIS THAT A MAN/ LAY DOWN HIS LIFE FOR HIS/ FRIENDS/ ST JOHN XV 13. Thirteen names are inscribed on the side of the plinth and the top stage of the base, facing the churchyard path. An inscription to the rear of the base records the memorial’s construction by R Cox, apparently of Market Harborough (that part of the inscription is damaged).
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.