First World War memorial, 1920. Later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Headless Cross War Memorial, which stands to the south of St Luke’s Church (Bridge Church), Evesham Road, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group Value: with the Grade II-listed church of St Luke, 1867-8, one of the best works of Frederick Preedy (1820-98).
The war memorial was unveiled in October 1920 by Bishop Fyson. An inscription commemorating those who fell in the Second World War was added after 1945.
The 6m tall monument in Portland stone stands to the south of St Luke’s Church (Grade II-listed). It comprises a cross which rises from a tapered shaft. The cross bears a small shield on which is carved HIS. The shaft has a moulded base and capital, and stands on an octagonal pedestal which rises from a three-stepped concrete base.The inscription carved on the front face of the pedestal reads:TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN/ GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF THE/ MEN OF THIS PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ IN/ THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918/ LIVE THOU FOR ENGLAND/ WE FOR ENGLAND DIED The 99 names recorded on the memorial are carved on the other seven sides of the pedestal. On the front face of the top step is carved ALSO IN WORLD WAR II 1939-1945.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.