First World War memorial, 1926, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Paulerspury War Memorial, which stands to the front of the churchyard of St James the Great Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with the Grade II*-listed church of St James the Great.
The total cost of the memorial, which was commissioned by Mrs Ella Harrison, was £200. It was handed over to the parish council in 1926. The names of those who died in the Second World War were added.
The memorial to the fallen of Paulerspury takes the form of a Calvary, set on a small Green to the front of the churchyard of St James the Great Church (listed Grade II*). The figure of Christ crucified is of oak, beneath a canopy. The cross, which has a lead-flashed lower section, rises from a sloping stone plinth (replaced in stone from Great Tew in 2014), itself set on an octagonal step and a two-stage square base.On the plinth is inscribed ERECTED BY ELLA HARRISON TO/ THE MEMORY OF THE MEN OF/ PAULERSPURY WHO FELL IN THE/ GREAT WAR FOR GOD KING AND/ COUNTRY./ 1914-1918 (27 NAMES). On one face are recorded the names of the eight men and one woman who fell in the Second World War.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.