First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Arundel War Memorial, which stands in the High Street at the junction with Tarrant Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with numerous listed buildings in the High Street, including the Grade II*-listed Norfolk Arms Hotel and the Grade II-listed street lamps flanking the memorial.
The war memorial is in remembrance of the men of Arundel lost in the First World War. It was unveiled on 24 July 1921 by the Lord Lieutenant of Sussex, Lord Leconfield. The names of those who died in the Second World War were added to the top of the lower stage of the plinth, and the First World War inscriptions and names have been renewed.The memorial originally stood in the middle of the roadway, but since 1921 the memorial’s base and the surrounding area have been re-modelled to create a broader traffic island.
The memorial comprises a tall Wealden sandstone Latin cross, carved on the front and rear faces with Celtic crosses in relief, which echo temporary wooden grave markers. The octagonal, three-stage base comprising upper, middle and lower plinths, which originally stood on three steps, has splayed corners. The lowest stage is surrounded by a low brick and flint wall. The wall has a low metal railing on top.The upper stage of the plinth is dated 1914/ -/ 1918 and 1939/ -/ 1945. A dedication and the names of those who died during the First World War are inscribed on limestone slabs around the middle stage:THEY WHOSE NAMES ARE RECORDED/ ON THIS MEMORIAL/ WERE NUMBERED AMONG THOSE WHO/ AT THE CALL OF KING AND COUNTRY/ LEFT ALL THAT WAS DEAR TO THEM/ ENDURED HARDNESS, FACED DANGERS/ AND FINALLY PASSED OUT OF SIGHT/ OF MEN BY THE PATH OF DUTY AND SELF-/ SACRIFICE. GIVING UP THEIR OWN LIVES/ THAT OTHERS MIGHT LIVE IN FREEDOM/ LET THOSE THAT COME AFTER SEE TO IT/ THAT THEY ARE NOT FORGOTTEN (93 NAMES).The middle stage is topped by a low railing which was added after 1921. The 26 Second World War names are recorded on limestone blocks let into the top of the lower stage of the plinth. The space between the enclosing wall and the lower stage forms a flower bed. The memorial is set within a cobbled area, with raised flower beds at either end to match the bed created around the base of the memorial.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.