War memorial, circa 1919 by Sir J Ninian Comper; bomb damaged in 1940 and restored in 1952.
Reason for Listing
Almondsbury war memorial of 1919 by Sir Ninian Comper which was damaged during bombing in 1940 and restored in 1952, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: as a well-crafted and traditional design by renowned architect Sir Ninian Comper which was restored in 1952 following bomb damage during the Second World War.
The aftermath of the First World War saw the biggest single wave of public commemoration ever with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. One such memorial was erected in circa 1919 in Lower Almondsbury to commemorate the thirty three men of the parish who died during the conflict. It was designed by the eminent architect, Sir Ninian Comper (1864-1960). The memorial was damaged during the Second World War and was subsequently restored in 1952 at which time a paved terrace bearing the names of the men who died during both the First and Second World Wars was added.
War Memorial, circa 1919 by Sir J Ninian Comper; bomb damaged in 1940 and restored in 1952.Materials: constructed of local stonePlan: approximately circular on plan. Description: the memorial has a tall octagonal column rising to a castellated top, with a freestone carved crucifixion above facing west. It stands on a plinth which has a chamfered top and stops to four of the corners. It is inscribed: THANKS BE TO GOD/ WHICH GIVETH US THE VICTORY/ THROUGH OUR LORD JESUS CHRIST/ SACRED TO THE MEMORY OF/ (NAME)/ AND OF ALL WHOSE NAMES ARE HERE RECORDED/ WHO HAVE DIED FOR KING AND COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914 – 1918. On the south-west side of the cross are the remains of the original octagonal base (three sides survive) of four deep steps. On the opposite (north-east) side, accessed by stone steps is a semi-circular paved terrace with coursed stone rubble retaining walls; almost every paving stone bearing the name, regiment and date of death of the fallen from both the First and Second World Wars. The uppermost step carries an inscription in relief: THIS MEMORIAL CROSS DESTROYED BY/ ENEMY BOMBS IN 1940 WAS RESTORED/ BY THE PEOPLE OF ALMONDSBURY IN 1952/ THE NAMES OF THOSE FROM THE PARISH/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THE CAUSE/ OF FREEDOM IN THE WORLD WAR 1939 - 1945/ ARE RECORDED ON EITHER SIDE OF THIS/ STONE IN GRATEFUL MEMORY OF THEIR/ SACRIFICE.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.