War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Sheringham and Beeston Regis War Memorial, which stands on The Boulevard in Sheringham, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural: as an elegant and well-proportioned interpretation of a Queen Eleanor cross, designed by a noted regional architect.
Unveiled in January 1921, the war memorial is dedicated to those from Sheringham and Beeston Regis who died in service during both the First and Second World Wars. It was designed by HH Palmer, an architect responsible for many memorials across Norfolk including the Grade II-listed memorials at Holt and Fakenham. It cost £541 1s 8d.The memorial has been repaired twice. General repairs were undertaken and a new fence was added in 2000. In 2009, repair of the inscriptions was grant-funded through War Memorials Trust.
The war memorial stands on The Boulevard, on the south-east side of a small garden. Raised on a two-step hexagonal base and standing 9m high, the memorial is in the form of an Eleanor Cross, made of Clipsham Stone. The lower step is surrounded by a low, decorative, railing.Tapering to a circular stone roof, surmounted by a small Greek cross on an orb, the memorial’s central column rises through two tiers of Gothic design. The lower tier is decorated with a band of trefoils set under six Gothic pediments. The upper tier is plainer, consisting of a blind arcade of cusped lancets.The inscriptions are carved on the sides of the lower tier. The principal inscription runs in two lines around the memorial:(upper line) TO KEEP IN REMEMBRANCE/ THE MEN OF SHERINGHAM/ AND BEESTON REGIS WHO/(lower line) GAVE THEIR LIVES IN THE/ CAUSE OF RIGHT & JUSTICE/ IN THE GREAT WAR/The names are commemorated in dated year-groups on each side. The inscription for the Second World War reads AND OF THOSE WHO/ GAVE THEIR LIVES IN/ THE WORLD WAR/ 1939 – 1945.Around the base is carved THEIR NAME LIVETH FOR EVERMORE.The planters and garden seat which surround the memorial are not included in the listing.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.