War memorial, dedicated in 1920, designer currently unknown. The names of the fallen of the Second World War have been added.
Reason for Listing
Chilham War Memorial, unveiled in 1920, with Second World War additions, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Architectural interest: as an accomplished and well-realised war memorial. The form of a churchyard cross is wholly appropriate for its setting next to the C14 church of St Mary.
The memorial, commemorating those from the village of Chilham who fell in the First World War, was unveiled in July 1920. The builder was H G Browning. The names of the fallen from the Second World War were subsequently added.
MATERIALS: York stoneDESCRIPTION: situated to the south of the church of St Mary, the memorial takes the form of a 4m high churchyard cross with a foliated head on an octagonal shaft. The shaft stands on an octagonal plinth and two-stage octagonal base. The dedication on the front face of the plinth reads ‘TO THE/ GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN HONOUR OF/ THE MEN OF CHILHAM/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR ENGLAND/ IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914-1918’. The rear face bears the inscription ‘THIS MEMORIAL/ WAS ERECTED BY/ THE INHABITANTS/ OF CHILHAM’. The names of the 34 fallen, arranged by rank and regiment/arm of service (including three munitions workers) occupy the remaining faces of the plinth. On the front three sides of the base of the plinth is a further inscription ‘THEIR NAME/ LIVETH FOR/ EVERMORE. On the front face of the upper stage of the base, beneath the date ‘1939-1945’, are the names of 19 servicemen and two civilians killed in the Second World War.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.