War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Silverstone’s war memorial, which stands opposite St Michael’s Church, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a tall and well-executed medieval-style cross; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed church of St Michael.
The memorial was erected in 1920 to commemorate both those who died in the First World War, and also those who served and returned. Inscriptions were added at a later date to commemorate those villagers who died in service during the Second World War, and to mark the village’s contribution to the Northampton General Hospital War Memorial fund. A post and chain-link fence was added in 2013 to help to protect the memorial from passing traffic.
The memorial stands on the pavement on the main triangular space in the village centre, opposite the Grade II-listed St Michael’s church. It takes the form of a limestone cross, c4m high, with a floriated wheel-head. This stands on a square plinth, which itself stands on a low, two-stage, octagonal base. Each corner of the plinth is ornamented with a single, blind, lancet.The plinth carries inscriptions on all four sides:(first side) THIS MONUMENT IS ERECTED/ TO THE GLORY OF GOD AND IN MEMORY OF/ TWENTY-FIVE YOUNG MEN OF THIS VILLAGE/ WHO FOUGHT BRAVELY AND DIED NOBLY/ DURING THE GREAT WAR. 1914 – 1919./ ALSO AN APPRECIATION OF THE SPLENDID/ SERVICES OF THOSE WHO HAVING TAKEN/ THEIR PART IN THE GREAT STRUGGLE,/ HAVE RETURNED TO THEIR HOME AND FRIENDS./ PASS NOT THIS STONE IN SORROW BUT IN PRIDE/ AND MAY WE LIVE AS NOBLY AS THEY DIED .(second side) (15 NAMES)(third side) TO COMMEMORATE THE GIFT/ BY THE PEOPLE OF SILVERSTONE/ TO THE WAR MEMORIAL APPEAL OF/ THE NORTHAMPTON GENERAL HOSPITAL/ WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945/ “SWEET MERCY IS NOBILITY'S TRUE BADGE”(fourth side) (14 NAMES)A tablet has been added below the plinth inscribed ALSO IN REMEMBRANCE OF THOSE/ OF THIS VILLAGE WHO FELL IN THE/ SECOND WORLD WAR 1939 – 1945 (4 NAMES).The post and chain surround erected in 2013 is excluded from the listing.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.