First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Standish Pillar War Memorial, which stands in the Jubilee Memorial Garden at the junction of High Street and Church Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Group value: with the Grade II-listed Jubilee Drinking Fountain.
The war memorial in remembrance of the men of Standish lost in the First World War was unveiled on 17 April 1920. Further inscriptions and names were added after the Second World War. The Jubilee Memorial Garden in which it stands was restored in 2004 at the instigation of the local Branch of the Royal British Legion.
The war memorial was built in the centre of a small triangular garden, which had been created as a memorial to Queen Victoria’s Diamond Jubilee in 1897. The garden retains the Grade II-listed Jubilee Drinking Fountain. The war memorial is made of polished red granite. It comprises an urn which stands on a squat column, with a square three-stage stone pedestal on two steps. It is just over 2m tall. The inscription on the front of the pedestal reads:(upper stage) STANDISH/ WAR MEMORIAL./ 1914-1919.(middle stage) THEY DIED THAT WE MIGHT LIVE(lower stage) SECOND WORLD WAR/ 1939-45/ ROLL OF HONOUR The names are inscribed on the remaining faces of the plinth.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.