First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Bourn War Memorial, which stands on the Green at the junction of Short Street and High Street, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reason: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20.
The memorial was unveiled on 21 November 1920 by Colonel C T Heycock. The mason was Mr W Wade, the builder was Sydney Gauge and the manufacturers, Messrs Macintosh. The decision to erect a cross was arrived at by house-to-house voting, the result being 356 votes for the cross and 267 for a new set of church bells with accompanying dedicatory tablet inside the church. War Memorials Trust funded the repainting of the lettering in 2010.
The memorial stands on a small Green at a road junction in the village. Constructed from Aberdeen granite, the memorial is in the form of a moulded wheel-head cross on a rectangular tapered plinth and square base. The memorial stands 2.6m high and is surrounded by a square area of kerbed paving. The raised kerbs carry a low leaf spear-point metal fence, over which a metal chain-link is suspended from metal posts at the corners and centre-points.The memorial is inscribed on the front of the plinth ERECTED/ TO THE GLORIOUS MEMORY/ OF THE MEN OF BOURN/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1918/ 1939 – 1945/ (1 NAME). The rear of the plinth is inscribed PASS NOT THIS STONE IN SORROW/ BUT IN PRIDE/ AND MAY YOU LIVE AS NOBLY/ AS THEY DIED. The names of the servicemen who were killed during the First World War are inscribed on the remaining sides of the plinth.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.