K6 telephone box designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office
The K6 telephone kiosk, The Green, Lilbourne is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
*. Historic interest: on account of its historic association with the Grade II listed Lilbourne Post Office (NHLE 1216627)
* Group Value: on account of the strong visual relationship with three listed buildings.
Reason for ListingThe K6 telephone kiosk, The Green, Lilbourne is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:*. Historic interest: on account of its historic association with the Grade II listed Lilbourne Post Office (NHLE 1216627)* Group Value: on account of the strong visual relationship with three listed buildings.
HistoryThe K6 telephone kiosk is a milestone of C20 industrial design. The K6 was designed by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott in 1935 for the General Post Office, on the occasion of King George V's Silver Jubilee. The K6 was a development from his earlier highly successful K2 telephone kiosk design of 1924, of Neo-classical inspiration. The K6 was more streamlined aesthetically, more compact and more cost-effective to mass produce. Sir Giles Gilbert Scott (1880-1960) was one of the most important of modern British architects; his many celebrated commissions include the Anglican cathedral of Liverpool and Battersea power station. The K2 and K6 telephone kiosks can be said to represent a very thoughtful adaptation of architectural tradition to contemporary technological requirements. Well over 70,000 K6s were eventually produced. In the 1960s many were replaced with a new kiosk type. But many still remain, and continue to be an iconic feature on Britain's streetscapes. The K6, The Green, Lilbourne was erected in 1938
DetailsThe K6 is a standardised design made of cast iron, painted red overall with long horizontal glazing in the door and sides and with the crowns situated on the top panels being applied not perforated. There are rectangular white display signs, reading TELEPHONE beneath the shallow-curved roof. It has modernised internal equipment. This telephone kiosk display signs above the doors are clearly visible, the paint appears to be in good condition and it retains the glass window panels. It is located on the southern point of The Green at a junction of four roads. It stands 41m from Lilbourne Post Office (NHLE 1216627, listed Grade II), and 87m from Stone House Farm House (NHLE 1216628, listed Grade II) and 154m from Old Manor House (NHLE1287541, listed Grade II).The kiosk has a strong visual relationship with all three of these listed buildings.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.