First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Eastington's war memorial, which stands in the churchyard of the church of St Michael and All Angels, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a well-executed stone cross; * Group value: with the Grade II*-listed church of St Michael and All Angels.
The memorial was unveiled in August 1920 by Brigadier J E Bush CB; the Right Reverend Bishop Foddam led the prayers. The names of servicemen who died during the Second World War were added later. Bronze panels repeating the names were added to the memorial in 1995, to mark the fiftieth anniversary of VE Day.
The memorial stands in the north part of the churchyard of St Michael and All Angels (Grade II*). It takes the form of a wheel-head limestone cross on a tapering, octagonal shaft, mounted on a square, two-tier plinth. The transition from the cross to the shaft is marked by carved foliage.On the front of the upper plinth is inscribed TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN LOVING MEMORY OF (NAMES) AND OTHER OFFICERS & MEN CONNECTED WITH/ THIS PARISH WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES/ FOR KING & COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WAR 1914-1918. The remaining names of those who died appear on the side panels. On the rear is inscribed SACRED ALSO TO THE MEMORY OF/ THOSE WHO FELL IN THE/ 1939-1945 WAR./ (NAMES).The inscriptions, and the names of all those commemorated, are also recorded on bronze panels fixed horizontally round on the top of the lower plinth.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.