First World War memorial, 1920, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Guilsborough and Coton war memorial, which stands in the village cemetery, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a well-executed medieval-style cross; * Group value: with the Grade II*-listed church of St Ethelreda.
The war memorial was paid for by public subscription and erected in 1920. It was built by Messrs Pullin of Northampton. The memorial commemorates the servicemen of Guilsborough and Coton who died during both the First and also the Second World War.
The memorial stands at the entrance to the village cemetery, across the road from the church of St Ethelreda (Grade II*). It comprises a c6m tall limestone cross with foliate head carried on an octagonal shaft. This rises from a square plinth set on a four-stage octagonal stepped base.The plinth carries inscriptions in gilt lettering incised into slate plaques:(north) TO THE GLORY OF GOD/ AND IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF THE MEN OF GUILSBOROUGH AND COTON/ WHO GAVE THEIR LIVES FOR THEIR COUNTRY/ IN THE GREAT WARS/ 1914-1919./ 1939-1945.(east) (9 NAMES)(south) HALLOWED IN CHRIST BE THE MEMORY/ OF ALL THE GALLANT MEN AND WOMEN/ WHO FELL IN THE GREAT WAR FOR/ THE FREEDOM OF THE WORLD./ THEY SHALL YET STAND BEFORE/ THE THRONE, AN EXCEEDING GREAT ARMY,/ AND IN THAT LAST MUSTER SHALL/ BE FOUND THESE, OUR OWN BELOVED.(west) (9 NAMES)
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.