First World War memorial, 1921, with later additions for the Second World War.
Reason for Listing
Walgrave Memorial Cross, on Lower Green, is listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impact of world events on the local community, and the sacrifice it made in the conflicts of the C20; * Design: a substantial and striking limestone cross.
The memorial was unveiled in February 1921, commemorating both the servicemen from the parish who died during the First World War and also the general sacrifice occasioned by the conflict. The details of servicemen who died during the Second World War were later added.
The c5m high limestone war memorial stands on Lower Green at the east end of High Street. It comprises a wheel-head cross set on a substantial, square-sectioned, tapering stone pillar. The pillar surmounts a stone plinth which bears metal lettered inscriptions:(west face) IN GRATEFUL MEMORY/ OF OUR /FELLOW PARISHIONERS/ WHO FELL IN THE / GREAT WAR/ 1914 – 1919(north face) THESE DIED FOR US (13 NAMES)(east face) IN GRATEFUL REMEMBRANCE/ OF ALL WHO/ FOUGHT, SUFFERED AND/ LABOURED FOR PEACE(south face) THESE DIED FOR US (12 NAMES)A separate panel on the south side of the plinth, affixed below the list of 12 names, is inscribed 1939-1945 (6 NAMES). The plinth is set upon a two-stepped square base. The memorial is surrounded by iron railings.
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.