War memorial, erected in 1921.
Reason for Listing
Kingswood war memorial is listed at Grade II for the following reasons: * Historic interest: as an eloquent witness to the tragic impacts of world events on this community, and the sacrifices it made in the conflicts of the C20 * Architectural interest: an accomplished and well-realised design which good attention to its decorative detail; * Intactness: the memorial survives intact in its original location; * Group value: it has group value with the Grade II* Holy Trinity church.
The great age of memorial building was in the aftermath of the First World War with tens of thousands of memorials erected across England. The war memorial in Kingswood was unveiled on the 11 September 1921 on the 100th anniversary of its associated church, Holy Trinity. Directly behind the memorial, attached to the north and west wall of Holy Trinity Church, are two stone tablets beneath stone hoodmoulds. These tablets, inscribed 1914-1919, bear the names of the 166 men who died in the First World War. An additional bronze tablet, inscribed 1939-1945, has been added to the right commemorating the names of the 65 men who died in the Second World War. Beneath this is an additional bronze plaque bearing the name ’Gnr. DENNIS H. BURGESS’
War memorial, erected in 1921.MATERIALS: carved from stone.PLAN: the memorial is square on plan and stands at the centre of a triangular platform. DESCRIPTION: located to the north-west corner of Holy Trinity church (1821, Grade II*), the war memorial stands on a raised triangular platform which has a stone seat to the centre and a set of stone steps to the right. There are additional stone steps to either side of the memorial to a raised square platform behind. The octagonal base of the memorial is enclosed by four corner posts with cross-vaulted style tops. The shaft, which is square at the base, tapers in octagonal section to a lantern set above a band of foliate carving with an octagonal annulet to the top and bottom. The lantern has four faces with traceried niches. On the north-west face is a relief sculpture which appears to be a depiction of Christ displaying the stigmata. On the north-west face of the base is a recessed panel with the inscription: O SAVIOUR / WHO DIDST DIE AND / RISE AGAIN FOR ALL / REMEMBER THESE IN / THY MERCY WHO DIED / FOR US AND GRANT / TO THEM A JOYFUL / RESURRECTION
Listed building text is © Crown Copyright. Reproduced under licence.